Sunday, April 10, 2016

But Then Again, No

Room 101
Winston gets a hold Emmanuel Goldstein's book and begins reading it aloud for Julia to hear. The book discusses most of Ingsoc´s believes and slogans (War is Peace, Ignorance is Strength, Freedom is Slavery) but it does not teach Winston anything since the book says things he already knows. Then, Winston and Julia are arrested by the Thought Police, but are surprised when they find out that Mr.Charrington (the prole who owned the store whose room Winston and Julia were renting) is a member of the Thought Police. They are separated and Winston is taken to a prison with other Party members and normal outlaws and then to a cell in the Ministry of Love. He is then beaten by workers of the Ministry of Love (and is then taken to Room 101) and tortured by O'Brien (who had been arrested a long time ago), who confesses to Winston that the pain he is going through is necessary in order for him to be supposedly “sane”.


What Do You Mean?

“A peace that was truly permanent would be the same as a permanent war.” (Orwell, 199)

Emmanuel Goldstein, in his book, talks about everything that conforms Ingsoc and its members and explains it to members of the Inner Party. I think that Goldstein is a very smart and honest man, he is the hope for everyone who wants to destroy the Party and Big Brother. Through messages like the one above, he is able to abolish any doubts of the readers of his book regarding the stupidity of the Party and Big Brother.He is able to understand the Party and its ways yet he doesn't follow them, but instead uses them to terminate Big Brother. Due to this fact, he is widely wanted in Oceania and is now an outlaw. I wonder how Emmanuel Goldstein became the fugitive he is depicted as, but most importantly, why did he get there?



" - We are the dead, - he said. - We are the dead,- echoed Julia dutifully. - You are the dead,- said an iron voice behind them.” (Orwell, 221)

This shows Julia´s and Winston´s character development throughout the book. At the beginning of the book, Julia did not admit to “being the dead” when she was seeing Winston, but he did. Ironically, she did not admit to this statement until only moments before her arrest. I think Julia has learned from Winston, he has taught her about the Party´s strategies and about how cruel they can truly get. Nevertheless, Winston still believes that going against the Party will end with him dead while Julia has just began realizing it, even if it is too late.


To Be Continued...
I think that I've just reached the most interesting part of the book. I honestly did not think that Winston and Julia would be arrested, and I definitely didn't think that the Thought Policeman that would spy on them was actually a prole. I'm strangely disappointed by the fact that the book did not give me any more information about Emmanuel Goldstein even though I would've liked it. I apprehensive about what will happen next in the book since I really don't want Winston to be tortured any further. Julia disappeared so that is someone else I would like to come back, but I guess I won't find out until I keep reading the book.

"In the clearing stands a boxer,
And a fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders
Of ev'ry glove that laid him down
And cut him till he cried out
In his anger and his shame,
"I am leaving, I am leaving."
But the fighter still remains"

No comments:

Post a Comment