Friday, June 10, 2016

He Will Be Loved

The Holocaust Was Complete


The superbly written novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and published in 1925, narrates the story of man's greed, magnificent parties, and an impossible love. Told through the eyes of Nick Carraway, a young World War I veteran from the midwest that moves into New York's West Egg, who hopes of getting a job and making a name for himself. He is surprised when he finds out that his neighbor, Jay Gatsby, throws incredible parties just next door. Gatsby is very respected but is a victim of gossip among those who attend his parties, Nick soon finds out that Gatsby is in fact in love with his (Nick's) second cousin, Daisy. As the novel progresses, Gatsby becomes closer to Daisy, her husband Tom,and Nick, which would sadly lead to a bloody car accident whose victim´s revenge would end in the death of the great Gatsby.


Thinking About... 


 “ -I wouldn't ask too much of her,- I ventured. -You can't repeat the past. -Can't repeat the past?- he cried incredulously. -Why of course you can!-” (Fitzgerald, 110)


I agree with Nick in this statement, I don't think that the past should repeat it self nor do I want it to. I find the fact that there will always be stuff that will stay in the past forever, awkwardly endearing and fantastic. I like to think that there are things that existed, but that do not exist nor will they exist. Nick is realistic, he says things to Gatsby as they are. Nick doesn't lie to his friend and is still honest to him, even if the truth hurts him sometimes. Gatsby, on the other hand, dreams of the time when he was in love with Daisy and Daisy was in love with him. He dreams of a time that is now irretrievable, when his love for Daisy was the same as her love for him. But, Gatsby can't move on. He does not realize that Daisy is now a wife and mother, and that he isn't as young as he once was.



“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.” (Fitzgerald, 180)

This is how Fitzgerald ended the book. A great book ending with some great words. But apart from being extraordinarily lyrical and deep, this shows Nick´s change of beliefs from the beginning of the book, towards the end. He went from correcting Gatsby and telling him that the past cannot be repeated, to metaphorically going back to it himself. But, grief changes a person. So it is not hard for me to believe that Gatsby´s death made Nick go crazy or something like that. But, either way, his personality and beliefs change from the beginning of the novel, to the end of it. I was not expecting this to happen since I thought the only character that would develop and move on would be Gatsby but, I guess he'll just live in his own world of fake love and fake friends.



It All Comes Down To This...


So, I haven't done a blogpost in a while. It doesn't mean it is any less fun, it is just  harder for me to get started typing, that is all. So, for this book, I'm doing something different since I will only post one blogpost instead of five. But anyway, I really enjoyed the book I read for this blogpost, I thought it was amazing and different to anything I had ever read before. Gatsby's undying love for Daisy gave me a bit more hope for love in this planet, but nevertheless got me pretty upset since Daisy did not love Gatsby half as much as he loved her and, all of these conclusions and opinions came to me at the very ending of the book. After Daisy kills Tom's mistress in Gatsby's car, Gatsby is on a dangerous position that, would inevitably end with his death. But, the absolute saddest part, the worst part, is that no one came to Gatsby´s funeral. Not his “friends”, not Daisy, no one but Nick and Gatsby's dad. This made me realize that it doesn't matter how much money we have, or how big the parties we throw are, we'll never truly know what people think of us, until we are dead. This got me thinking, who will show up to my funeral?
But, anyways, the book was fantastic and I would definitely recommend it to other people. I think this book is for hopeless romantics, for the imaginative, and for the dreamers. People who enjoy history and knowledge, would definitely enjoy this book and could easily identify with the main character of the story. This book has taught me about love and unlove, about joy and misery, and about loyalty and changes. I hope that I can apply these things I learned to my life so that I can live to the fullest, loving unconditionally and loving my past.

"Why do you say goodbye goodbye, oh no?
You say goodbye and I say hello"

No comments:

Post a Comment