Thursday, August 13, 2015

Changing Is Progressing

The ace of spades doesn't arrive in the mail like the last two. Instead, Ed has to negotiate for it and his dog after the annual Sledge Game (a barefoot game of soccer that takes place every December). After winning the game,he finds out that his dog is missing but finds a kid who offers twenty bucks for it and the card. The names in the card turn out to be names of authors, so Ed goes to the library to find their books. Much to his surprise, Ed finds addresses within the pages of the books and in 114 Glory Road, Ed meets the Tatapu family who can't afford Christmas lights. Ed immediately gets them the lights and watches them light up their house afterwards. The second address is 23 Clown Street where he finds an old Italian restaurant and is shocked to see his mother walk in with a man on her arm. Ed doesn't stay long and instead heads out to his mother´s house and waits for her to come back.  When she does, Ed asks her why her hate for him is so strong and finds out that Ed reminded her too much of his (now dead) dad (harsh, I know). The third address Ed visits is 39 Bell Street where he finds an old cinema and its owner. He buys tickets to a movie  and brings Audrey with him to watch it but in the middle of the film, a man comes in and changes the reel. Then, the screen shows Ed being beaten up by the Rose brothers, carrying all the books from the library, watching the Christmas lights with the Tatapu family, asking his mom about her hate towards him, and last, the screen shows Ed walking into the cinema. He later finds the ace of hearts in his seat in the movie theater.   

“This isn't about words.
This is about glowing lights and small things that are big.” (221)

In this quote this quote, Ed explains how the Christmas lights in the Tatapu family residence are beautiful even though they are small. With this quote, I felt as if every small thing that I've done could be considered big for someone else. For example, if I was to donate clothes to people in need, it would be small for me but very big for them. Same goes with charity events, those who donate think it´s a small action but people who receive think it is big.

“That was when the world wasn't so big and I could see everywhere. It was when my father was a hero and not a human.” (240)

This quote made me acknowledge how much I love my dad. It made me acknowledge how much it would hurt me if he was gone. It got me thinking about how different my life would be without him. For example, I wouldn´t have someone to work while my mom takes care of my sisters and I and I wouldn´t have someone to drive me everywhere (my mom doesn't drive). Most importantly, I wouldn´t have a hero that protects me from the evil of the world.



(This song reminds me of my dad. It reminds me of how everything is different compared to when I was a kid. )


The next card will probably be the hardest and most challenging one. My mom once told me that even if you think that your job is done, you should still put effort towards the end. I hope Ed will be able to help the next few people even if it is challenging to accomplish. I also hope that he finally finds out who is sending the cards and making him help all those people. Ed has already helped all the people from the first three cards, will he be able to help the people in the fourth, and last, card?

No comments:

Post a Comment