Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Surprises Are More Important Than Promises

When Ed reads the names in the ace of hearts, he is surprised to find out that they are titles of movies. In the first movie he finds out that the leading role was played by Audrey Hepburn and immediately thinks of Audrey. The second movie is played by Lee Marvin in one of his most famous roles and Ed thinks of Marv. In the last movie Ed finds out that the director of the movie shares the same last name as Ritchie. Ed has got his three addresses: Audrey, Marv and Ritchie (amazing isn't it).
First, Ed goes to visit Ritchie and notices that he doesn't do anything productive the entire day. He then encourages Ritchie to get a job so he stops living from his parents´ money. After helping Ritchie, Ed goes to Marv´s home and remembers that Marv has been saving money for a while now but is very mysterious about how he wants to spend it. When Ed asks him about it, Marv tells him that he had a daughter with his ex-girlfriend Suzanne Boyd and would like to give the money to the kid (when I found about this I almost dropped the book). They both go to Suzanne´s new home since she and her family moved out a few years ago. Marv is confronted by Suzanne´s father but nevertheless is allowed to meet his daughter. The last person Ed needs to help is Audrey but he doesn't know how to help her (although it's his job but who am I to judge). When he goes to her house, Ed watches her eating with her boyfriend but recalls that Audrey doesn't allow herself to love (and intends to change it). He watches Audrey for three nights and  in the fourth night, Ed knocks on Audrey's door with a radio in his hand. They dance in the hallway outside Audrey´s  apartment for three minutes to a song Ed won´t mention. When Ed comes back home, he is surprised to find another card in the mail but this time it only has one address. 26 Shipping Street it says, and that´s Ed´s address.





""There´s only one thing I want."

"What´s that Ritchie?"
His answer is simple.
"To want."" (304 - 305) 

This quote got me thinking about how different Ed and Ritchie really are. Ed wanted to do something for himself and become someone with achievements but Ritchie doesn't really care. This is probably why Ed tried to stop the bank robbery that day. When Ed goes to Ritchie´s house to help him, he notices the lack of ambition in his friend's life. Ritchie has no career, no occupation, and no achievements whatsoever. At least Ed is a cab driver with aspirations of becoming a hero. Anyway, they both lived with their parents (Ritchie still does), they live in the same small town and have the same friends. What makes them different, you may ask yourself? (And here is your answer).Decisions.
Can three minutes last forever? I ask myself, but already I know the answer.

Probably not, I reply. But maybe they last long enough.” (336)

Sometimes I wish three minutes would last forever, sometimes I don´t.  You know how sometimes good things happen in our lives that make us happy, but sometimes bad things happen and it makes us upset. I (sadly) can't change the fact that sometimes life won´t be fair or won´t go in the way we want it to. It's fine you know, it's fine because if we knew that everything would go the way we want it to go, our lives would be pathetic. Not pathetic in the sense that we don't do anything, but pathetic in the way that we know we can't fail. I would like that some trips I made would last forever but they can't because if I was to stay in vacation my whole life, I would forget to live my life like a normal everyday student. Just like Ed said, maybe some circumstances  are not meant to last forever, but maybe just long enough for you to remember them.


Honestly, I thought that this would be the last card that arrives in the mail, but I was definitely wrong. I hate to admit it but, I didn't even think (not even a second) that Ed would get another card in the mail. I guess it adds up you know, things happen when you least expect them. I still think that Ed will be able to deliver whatever the message is (for himself). I know that he'll do anything (and when I say ´anything´ I MEAN ´anything´) necessary to deliver the last message. Also, I've been hoping that Ed will finally meet (or at least know who) the person that is sending the cards. I already got tired of guessing who is sending the cards to Ed, doubt is killing me. I am genuinely scared of what will happen next, who is behind Ed's mission?




No comments:

Post a Comment