Thursday, August 25, 2016

History Books Forgot About Us

Truths And Lies


Colin and Hassan discover Lindsey´s boyfriend, Colin, cheating on Lindsey with Katrina, and they tell Lindsey, which causes her to break up with The Other Colin and for him to start a fight with everyone that was present. Hassan, Colin, and Lindsey find out that Hollis sold some property because people are no longer buying the tampon strings made in the factory, but Hollis doesn't want to fire people so she throws the tampon strings away (she is selling some land to make money). Colin discovers that the person who is resting in the famous Archduke tomb is not actually the Archduke, but Lindsey´s grandfather, and she explains to Colin that her grandfather just wanted to be remembered, and they both kiss. Colin tells her the stories of the 19 Katherines and Hassan enrolls into college, much to Colin's happiness. Afterwards, Colin (with the help of his theorem), predicts that his and Lindsey´s relationship will end in four days, when this is proven to be false, Colin understands that his theorem only works for past relationships and not for future ones, love is just too unpredictable.

 My Thoughts On...


“ ‘I had a, um, blinding light spiritual awakening.’ (...) ‘I mean, she's giving up all her time and her money so people can keep jobs. She´s doing something.’ ” (Green, 193)

This quote is said by Colin while he is talking with Hassan about the things that Hollis does in order to keep her employees with a job. I think that this shows Colin´s positive character development throughout the book. Reading this quote made me realize that Colin no longer thinks that, in order to matter, he needs to impact the whole world. I guess that I consider this his “blinding light spiritual awakening” since he now has a different perspective of changing people's lives. I guess that, all it takes for us to want to cause a change, is to see someone else make a change.



“Nothing was happening, really, but the moment was thick with mattering.” (Green, 212)

I think that these moments that Green refers to in the book are the ones that we don't consider important until we later remember them. When I read this, I remembered an specific car ride home that I didn't realized held so much meaning until it became a memory. After I graduated from 6th grade, the whole grade attended a final party after the ceremony at school was held. The so called party was fun and all, but it was also the last time time that I saw a few of my friends that wouldn't attend secondary with me. When my dad picked me up from said party, I immediately fell asleep on the backseat of the car. It wasn't until later that I realized that this car ride signified the ultimate end to my primary education, it ended a stage in my life that I will never get back, it was the last time I saw some people, and it was the first time I saw others.



The Future Is Forever


I finished the book! I am honestly very pleased with the way it ended, I would not change anything about the story. I guess that what I am most happy about is that Colin finally learned and understood that not being famous or not becoming a genius is just as good as becoming one. I enjoyed the ending of the book because it doesn't give a single clue to what will happen to the characters once the summer ends. I guess that it gives the readers the opportunity to imagine their own scenarios and to draw their own conclusions. The book has honestly taught a few things. First, that I shouldn't live to please others (like Colin does in order to please his parents at the beginning of the story), but that I should live in order to please myself and live up to my expectations. Second, I learned that being popular in school (like Lindsey) is not the most important thing there is to life. And, finally, that not knowing what we are doing or will do, is just part of being alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment