Saturday, August 6, 2016

And Maybe When The Time`s Right

Eureka

John Green's 2006 young adult novel, “An Abundance of Katherines”, tells the story of Colin Singleton, who has just been dumped by his 19th girlfriend named Katherine and is trying to find a way to become a famous genius. Colin and his friend Hassan drive from Chicago to Gutshot, Tennessee, where they stop to visit the Archduke Franz Ferdinand`s (whose death started World War I) resting place. They befriend their tour guide, Lindsey Lee Wells, and meet her boyfriend, Colin, and her mom, Hollis. Colin seems to have his “Eureka” moment when he comes up with a theorem that explains the curve of any relationship based on several personality factors of each person. Later on, Hassan and Colin get hired by Hollis to interview residents of Gutshot in order to assemble an oral history of the town.

Figure It Out 


“Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. What a dirty lie.” (Green, 37)

I think that this quote is able to show Colin`s feelings regarding his breakup with Katherine XIX. Once she breaks up with Colin, he shows that he is genuinely heartbroken about Katherine. I guess that I expected Colin to be extremely antisocial and to be someone who wasn't able to show his deepest emotions to other people. Honestly, that is the way that most prodigies are portrayed in movies and TV shows (Sheldon Cooper), so this gave a different perspective of Colin even before I read the book. Additionally, I totally agree with Colin`s statement about the pain that words can cause, but his thoughts have also taught me that, even those who are considered to be different, can get just as hurt or feel just as much as everyone else.



“And that one tripped him up. Why did Ovid live in Ancient Rome in 20 BCE and not Chicago in 2006 CE? Would Ovid still have been Ovid if he had lived in America? (...) So did Ovid matter because he was Ovid or because he lived in Ancient Rome?” (Green, 44)

Just like Colin wonders about time and space, I have also wondered about the reasons for history. Not only mine or from people I know, but also from people that are famous, and specially people who have made history and that I've learned about in school. Colin made me wonder about all of the situations and events that happen or that need to happen in order to make a person famous or successful. Colin`s thoughts about Ovid living in America in 2006 also made me wonder if whether or not people are recognized for making a big discoverment or leaving an important legacy because of who they truly are or because of when they were alive or where they lived during that time. Finally, if Colin becomes a genius, will he be remembered by who he IS, or because he lived in America in 2006?

This movie shows how small changes
can completely change people`s futures.

What`s Next?

So far, the book has been great. It is, surprisingly, very funny and relatable. I cannot begin to express how surprised I was when Colin had his supposed “Eureka” moment in the story, but I was also very excited about it. However, I do hope that the book shows more about Lindsey Lee Wells since I have honestly no idea of what type of person she is or what her role in the story will be. I also wonder about the purpose of the oral history Colin and Hassan have to assemble for Hollis. I don't know how could Hollis use this in her job or even in her life.T



No comments:

Post a Comment